Are Uncovered Outlets Dangerous?

Electric outlets are a are uncovered outlets dangerous part of the electrical system of your home. They allow us to plug in and use many appliances in our home such as lights, refrigerators, microwave ovens, televisions and security lights. However, if your outlet covers are missing, damaged or cracked they can pose dangers to you and your family.

If an electrical outlet has a crack in its face, side or bottom it may be exposing metal contact points within the receptacle which presents a serious risk of shock and fire. This is especially dangerous if you have young children in your home who are curious and like to stick things such as paper clips, keys, bobby pins or coins into electrical outlets.

Decoding the Mystery: Unraveling the Reasons Behind Scratching Sounds in Your Air Vents

When an electrical outlet is exposed to dirt, dust and debris it can overheat and cause a fire. These types of fires can be hard to detect and can be extremely dangerous for you and your family as they do not require oxygen to burn.

The most reliable way to prevent these types of electrical fires is by installing arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) outlets in your home. This will prevent a fire from starting when an outlet is exposed to contaminants such as rain, snow, water, pesticides and power washing fluid. If you don’t already have AFCI outlets installed in your home a good contractor should be able to install them for you. It is also important to regularly inspect the outlets in your home for signs of damage. If you notice a crack or chip in an outlet cover it should be replaced as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *